Thursday, December 23, 2010

Step Into Christmas

I LOVE CHRISTMAS MUSIC! Christmas music probably my favourite music genre, well after Disney soundtracks that is. And yes I do consider both of these to be "genres", at least according to my iTunes sorting they are. I have 118 songs on my iTunes under the genre "Holiday Season". There is just something about those sleigh bells jingling in the background or the excessive use of "Tis" that makes me happy.

Now most people think that radio stations switch over to Christmas music way too early - I think they don't start playing it early enough. I am obsessed with Christmas music, in case you didn't get that already and I like to start Christmas right after my birthday. It's a good thing I have those 118 songs to tide me over until the radio stations get with the program. It's actually pretty embarrassing considering how early I start Christmas that I waited til today to write about it. I guess I was just so busy jamming to my Christmas songs.

For those who perhaps are only embracing the Christmas spirit now I've included below some of my favourite songs. I actually just wanted to put sound clips but I could not figure out a way to do that so I'm just linking to the YouTube videos.

Step into Christmas - Elton John
OK so though this song is probably very very old, I only discovered it last year and O-M-G  ... I'm in love. It's got the feel of Crocodile Rock but with jingles and Christmas lyrics. It's so much fun and I will admit to dancing (likely the Carlton) when I'm home alone and the chorus comes on. There is a video with Elton John singing but the video and audio are both poor quality. And hey! Nothing's wrong with combining Christmas & Disney.

Deck the Rooftops - Glee Cast
Here's another really fun upbeat song. I ♥ Glee and if you're looking for some must-have Christmas CDs add this one to your list. Every song is a winner.

It's Christmas Time - Jules Larson
This song was actually featured on the Grey's Anatomy Christmas episode (well quasi-Christmas, I believe I saw a Christmas tree at some point). The song was actually available to download for free the day after the episode so Yay for free songs! I haven't a clue who Jules Larson is but perhaps now I will look into her other works (well after Christmas that is).

Winter Song - Sara Bareilles & Ingrid Michaelson
Two artists that I love oh so much collaborating on such a beautiful song. "Is love alive" ... ahh it just warms my soul. This song is actually from The Hotel Café Presents Winter Songs CD which was on my wish list but pretty hard to find so I'm not keeping my hopes up [edit: which I got for Christmas]. This song as the same kind of feel as Sarah McLachlan's Song For A Winter's Night, which is perhaps why I like it so much.

OK, back to something a little more upbeat:

We Need A Little Christmas - Glee Cast
That's right, I went back to Glee. That's how much I love this album. I actually wanted to find a video of the song being sung in the episode but sadly could not find any. The premise, for those interested, is that the Glee Club is going caroling in the classrooms to raise money for homeless children. Most students however don't like Christmas songs (shock of the year, I know!!) and the teacher actually throws her shoe at them. Yeah, there high school isn't very supportive eh? Regardless though, it's a really awesome song.

And despite the fact that I don't want to stop, I'll end with my all-time favourite Christmas song:

Baby It's Cold Outside - Dean Martin + random??
I love this song so much but I have issues with how many different versions there are and the lack of proper information on YouTube. Dean Martin preformed this song with like 3 other female singers and some of those have gone on to record this song with other mail singers so trying to track down the female lead in this version is downright impossible. Regardless of who sings this song with Dean Martin, I really do love it.

For those who were just getting into my Christmas music selection here are some other great songs to check out:

Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee (Can't have Christmas without this one)
Happy XMas (War is Over) - John, Yoko & The Plastic Ono Band With The Harlem Community Choir
Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) - Mariah Carey
Christmas Canon - Trans-Siberian Orchestra

And OK, I cannot believe I found a YouTube video for this! I just have to include ....

Ay, Ay, Ay It's Christmas - Ricky Martin


And it's live too! If this doesn't make you smile then you are one heart-less soul-less grinch. :)
- Merry Christmas Everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment